All summer I have been thinking about this upcoming school year, and all of the things that I need to accomplish, but it just never felt real- until this week that is.
This semester I am taking a stats class (definitely not one of my strengths), managing a research project, conducting my own research project, applying for jobs, doing my dissertation proposal, starting my dissertation, and revising a paper I submitted last year that was rejected.
I just kept thinking, once the semester starts I will have to get to work, not really acknowledging how much work that would actually be. In preparation for the semester to start this coming week, I had two meetings, which were very informatative, but also felt quite overwhelming.
I met with a junior faculty member on Tuesday to discuss job applications, where I should be looking, and what I need to start preparing. Then on Wednesday I met with the graduate program coordinator to discuss my credits, and dissertation proposal. On top of all of the new tasks that are on my plate as a result of these meetings, it seems as though with regard to every other project I am working on, Murphy seems to be my new sidekick.
I am trying to stay as positive and productive as possible, but that's not always easy when you are staring into the unknown. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," I just need to remmeber who is truly in control, and remember that I am not alone in this.
You can do it! Just break it down to one task at a time. Don't allow yourself to get overwhelmed...remember that you have control over how you react to things. You are totally capable and I know you'll rock the semester with your awesomeness.
ReplyDeleteKerri's right, Caroline! You can do it! What is the topic for your dissertation?
ReplyDeletePreschoolers' self-awareness, i.e. can kids judge the size of the spaces that they can fit into, and is that related to their ability to predict their performance on measures of math.
ReplyDeleteIn other words, I get to play with little kids and listen to them tell me how wonderful they are ;)