Friday, July 2, 2010

Comprehensive Exams

In most doctoral programs, in order to advance to candidacy (which essentially means you are now able to start your dissertation), you must first pass some type of comprehensive/evaluative exam. All programs have their own unique way of doing this. The GMU ADP program requires a take home written exam. Six months before we are given the exam we a given a generalized reading list, and must develop our own specialized reading list. We then have those six months to read all of the articles on both lists. 


The exam consist of three questions. One question is a general method question, and is common to all students taking the exam at that time. The second question is a specialized method, which is supposed to lead right into our dissertation methods section. The third question is a specialized content question, which is supposed to lead right into our dissertation intro. Each person writes the first draft of their specialized questions, but then the faculty is able to change them however they want. 


We were given our exams on July 1st at 12:01am, and have until July 16th at 9am. Each question had to be a total of 15 pages. Sounds easy right? This exam has been sucking the energy out of me for the past six months, and it is only day two. Having a good idea about what two of the questions would be, I was able to get a jump start on writing, but there is still so much that needs to be done, and now the clock is on. I need to average 4 pages a day for the next two weeks in order to get it all written and still have time to proof. Some days this is really easy, especially when I am talking about a topic that I am very familiar with and that has a lot literature, other days it is hard to get one page. 


I am also trying to keep my life as normal as possible all the while. I know myself too well to assume that I will be able to lock myself in a room 12 hours a day for 15 days, especially in the summer. I live for the summer, and being able to go outside, go swimming, go to the park, etc. It is also over the fourth of July weekend, which means Mike has three day weekend, there are parades, fireworks and BBQs. My plan is to get up early, exercise, write, break for lunch, get a few more hours of writing in, and then do something that helps me maintain my sanity. 


I think the worst part of all of this is that we don't get our results until September, so a month and a half of just waiting...


Well back to what I am supposed to be writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment