Friday, July 30, 2010

Pool Sharks

When Mike and I first moved to Virginia, I was absolutely miserable. We moved at the beginning of June, but I didn't start school until the last week of August. I didn't know anyone, and Mike was working full time. I did work part-time babysitting for a local family, so that meant I knew a total of four people, and two of them were under the age of five. I soon learned that making new friends can be extremely difficult.


I began looking for groups to join, so that we could meet new people. In August, Mike joined a wallyball league, but that was very short lived, and it was back to the search. Mike has been shooting pool since he could walk, so when I saw an ad on Craig's List for a pool league, I was hoping we had hit the jackpot! Mike began shooting pool in DC in September, and I would tag along helping to keep score, and "manage" the team. Then in January I joined the team as well. We met a lot of great people, and it was great to get out of the house once a week, and talk to people other than each other, but DC was a far drive, and we weren't getting home until after 1am most nights. So, after our second season in DC, we began a search to find  a league closer to us, and were successful. Mike has shot every season since, and I have played as my course schedule has allowed, which has essentially meant taking every third session off.


Pool really has been a saving grace for us. We have made amazing friends through the leagues, and it has given us an excuse to get out of the house once a week. As I mentioned previously, Mike is one of the better players in the league and I am one of the worst. This works out perfectly though, we both go to the same place, and Mike has fun playing pool, while I have fun socializing and pretending to play pool.


However, last night was my last night, at least for a while. The bar we shoot at brought back smoking, which gives me headaches, the nights are getting too late, and I need to focus on working on my dissertation, so that I can graduate one day. Mike is going to continue to play, and I will still stop by to hang out, but this way I don't have to go every week, and I don't have to worry about being out so late every week. So, for now I am hanging up my cue.

No comments:

Post a Comment