So, this is one of the roles that I hold so that I can keep my lights turned on. In previous semesters, I held this role part time, but was offered a full time job managing this semester, so I don't have to worry about doing teaching and advising in addition.
My advisor was awarded a grant that allows him to research the effects of a patterning intervention in first grade classrooms. We prescreened the children to see which ones did not already know the patterns that we were going to teach them. Then, we randomly assigned those children to four different groups. Each group works with an undergraduate student for 15 minutes a day. The Social Studies groups works on coloring sheets that focus on geography and civics topics. The Literacy group reads poems and focuses on rhyming words and comprehension. The Math group focuses on basic math skills. The Patterning group focuses on learning patterns. We are trying to determine whether the children in the patterning group can match the math kids on measures of math, match the literacy group on measures of literacy, and outscore the other groups on these measures.
My job is to prepare all of the literacy materials, and to make sure that all of the classrooms have all of the materials they need to do the literacy activities. I also am the manager at one of the schools, am responsible for the project at that school. I am the point of contact for the principle and teachers, and need to make sure that they are happy so that we can come back the following year. I am also responsible for making sure that the undergraduate students are trained and are implementing the intervention measures appropriately.
This is a really cool project, and I enjoy having the opportunity to work on such a large scale project. However, it can be stressful, because it means that I need to leave my house at 6:30 in the morning so that I can make it to the school by 8am to meet my researchers. It also means that non-confrontational me needs to confront my students whenever they act inappropriately in the school. It is definitely a learning opportunity for future roles.
No comments:
Post a Comment